Have You Ever

 Have you ever felt like there's something you've always wanted to do, but you've been too afraid to try? I certainly have. As long as I can remember, I've had a deep desire to be a writer. When I was four or five years old, I remember lying in the grass on a warm summer day, filling the pages of my three-ring binder with my glorious thoughts. The funny thing is, I didn't even know how to write yet! But that didn't stop me. I scribbled along, knowing deep down I AM a writer.


Unfortunately, I spent most of my life held back by my self-doubt and insecurities. I convinced myself I wasn't good enough, or that I didn't have what it takes to succeed. Even when I started writing, I struggled with the fear that if my writing wasn't perfect, it wasn't worth sharing with the world.


Recently, something shifted inside me. I turned 60 a few days ago. For the first time in my life, I didn't look back on the passing of years and lament all I hadn't done. Instead, I felt an urgency. There are 40 years ahead of me to create the life I've always wanted.  I will not waste any more time waiting for someone else to give me permission to pursue my dreams.


That's why I've embraced imperfection and go for it. I know I don't have all the answers or all the skills I need to succeed as a writer. But that's okay. I'm taking the messy, imperfect path of learning. I know that's the only way to create a different life.


It's not easy, of course. There are still moments when the old familiar doubts start creeping in. But I'm learning to quiet the inner critic and just keep going. I   WILL make mistakes along the way, but I also know each mistake is an opportunity to learn and get better.


So today, I challenge you to think about something you've always wanted to do, but you've been too afraid to try. Maybe it's writing, like me, or maybe it's something completely different. Whatever it is, take one small step towards making it happen. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to start.


If you're inspired, I invite you to share your thoughts in the comments below. Let me know what you're working on, and how you're embracing imperfection in pursuit of your dreams. Because at the end of the day, we're all in this together. And together, we WILL do amazing things.


1 comment:

Brandy said...

Wow, what a beautiful message. I'm currently working on my passion to be an astrological mindset coach. Thank you for your inspiring words.