Oats, Corneal, Peanut Butter and Lard. That's Whats For Dinner

Sounds yummy doesn't it. Actually it doesn't taste too bad, that is, only if you take one little taste. This delicious recipe isn't for human consumption. No, its for the hundreds of birds, both big and small, who have found a great fly up restaurant at Chez Hartshorn.
Beginning this winter I started making my own suet to have for the birds when it snowed. I didn't want to have to go to the store every time I ran out and it is pretty inexpensive to make yourself. It stores well in the refrigerator and lasts a long time. So with just a few additional ingredients added to your weekend shopping list, you will be able to provide a nutritional and important meal for your feather friends.

This is an easy recipe to make with the kids as they learn to take care of our feathered friends. You can also have them identify the birds as they fly in.

I hope you all will also share your photos on the blog or on Facebook.

Ingredients:
 1 cup melted lard
1 cup peanut butter
 2 cups quick oats
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour

Melt lard and peanut butter together in the microwave or on a low burner. Remove from heat and combine with dry ingredients. When cool, store in jars; no refrigeration needed. Offer crumbled in an open dish or packed into a suet log.

I store mine in the refrigerator in a tupperware bowl. I then break it up into crumbles and place out on the feeder outside. I break it up pretty small so the bigger birds don't hog it all.
The photos are from yesterday and today!





No comments: